Mobile Web Optimization
Katalyst works with clients to determine the most appropriate approach to Mobile Web Optimization for their brand.
You’ve probably seen the often-referenced Morgan Stanley projection, that the mobile web is set to overtake desktop access by 2014. In fact, recent data suggests that this may have underestimated the rate of uptake of mobile web access.
Regardless, it is clearly important to ensure mobile is a strong component of digital marketing plans moving forward. In particular, it is critical to consider how your brand’s websites will render on multiple screens and devices. That means undertaking Mobile Web Optimization.
Google recently reported that 1 in 5 searches on Google are now from a mobile device. They also asserted that ranking priority within mobile search results will be given to sites that are mobile optimized. This further underlines the need to ensure your website is optimized for mobile.
Mobile Web Optimization can mean different things to different people. There are three main approaches to optimizing for the mobile web:
- Mobile compliance/mobile ‘friendly’: building your brand.com so that it takes into account best practices to enable viewing on a mobile device (essentially making sure the site ‘works’).
- Mobile website (m.site.com): building a separate mobile optimized website that has been specially designed.
- Responsive web design: building a website that will automatically adapt the layout and flow to the given screen/platform (Learn more about this approach).
Approaches 2 and 3, while requiring additional effort and resources, has several advantages over the first approach, including:
- typically faster loading times
- ability to view on a wider number of devices/screens
- improved user experience/ease of browsing
- contextualized for the mobile environment
- increased relevancy – focused content that would be most useful for a mobile user
- increased functionality (tap to call, tap to email, etc.)
We work with our clients to determine the most appropriate approach to Mobile Web Optimization, given their objectives, audience, budget and timeline. While a fully-optimized mobile website is desirable, it is not always feasible or appropriate for all brands or situations.
Katalyst’s mobile strategists, usability specialists and designers have significant experience in designing mobile optimized experiences that really take into account the unique environment of the mobile user. They not only consider how a site may render on a screen, but also the context with which a user might be accessing the mobile website. Compared to a traditional ‘desktop’ set-up, the lighting, background noise, time constraints, etc. will all create a very different experience for a mobile user than a desktop user. A successful mobile optimized site must incorporate all of these considerations.
How We’re Different
|Goal: Content accessibility||Goal: Optimized experience|
|Design for the screen||Design for the mobile user|
|One solution fits all||Client needs informed approach|